Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Artist on the Loose
A blog by an artist
Sharing what I do and see and hoping it inspires you!
THE CREATIVE LIFE FOR THE CURIOUS

March 20, 2018-

ARTIST TIPS FOR THE MOTIVATED

“When a storm is coming, all other birds seek shelter. The eagle alone avoids the storm by flying above it. So in the storm of life, May your heart soar like an Eagle.” ~ unknown 



Every year I pick a “Word of the Year”. It keeps me focused on what I want. For 2018 my word is “Soar”.
The word picking process begins around November so that I am ready to implement the word on Jan 1 of the new year. 
It becomes a second mission statement & a mantra. I try to repeat it daily and post a graphic of the word and definition in several places. I ask myself if the choices I am making align with my word of the year.
In choosing my word it must be a word I like the sound of, it must be easy to repeat, to use as a mantra. I will be saying it a lot, mentally carving it into my brain, my heart, my soul, & my actions.
Secondly, I spend some time looking and reflecting on the definition. I like a word that has a definition that is full of inspiration. A definition that can make it through twelve months.

“Soar” 
/sôr/
verb
fly or rise high in the air. 
maintain height in the air without flapping wings or using engine power.
Increase rapidly above the usual level.

fly or rise high in the air: For 2018 I want to reach for goals beyond what I have attempted. I want to raise my standards of what I create. I want to reach for opportunities to show my work that is on a new level. I want to show in places that are farther away from my base.

 “ To soar we must leave anything that weighs us down” 

maintain height in the air without flapping wings or using engine power.: This one is proving to be really powerful. It means to excel without a lot of useless motion. I take it to mean to get rid of the busy work and do the important work. To stay at a pace that is moving you up and forward and not get caught trying to catch up,“flap your wings”. I plan not to procrastinate, to stay on task, so I do not have to play catch up.

“Removing your self-imposed limitations will allow you to soar.” 
~ found at wearemomo.com

 Increase rapidly above the usual level: I want to work at a pace that surpasses what I have done in the past. I want to work at a level that is above what I have done in the past. 

“The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Well, there you have it. Pick your word for the year carefully and let it help you throughout 2018.


“Don’t quack like a duck, soar like an eagle.” ~ Ken Blanchard

No comments:

Post a Comment